Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

First Ride, Tune-Up, Lock, Reflectors, and Brakes

Had a great first ride out today. Went to the LBS repair shop and back home totaling 5.6 miles.

Strava Stats

To the Repair Shop
Distance: 2.3 mi
Elevation Gain: 0 ft
Moving Time: 0:15:18
Max Speed: 18.0 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 9.0 mi/hr
Calories: 42

Back Home
Distance: 3.3 mi
Elevation Gain: 38 ft
Moving Time: 0:21:18
Max Speed: 22.8 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 9.3 mi/hr
Calories: 81

I took my bike to the McCully Bike & Sporting Goods Repair Shop for a tune-up and the guy there was very accommodating. He took a quick look over my bike and snuck me in a waiting time slot since everything looked fine. He told me to come back in an hour or so, so I went to Longs, got some C2o Coconut Water, then headed a few blocks toward the LBS.

I have been looking at bike locks online and previously thought that all locks were the same, until I watched some videos on how to properly lock your bike. I got really interested in Kryptonite locks because they have a key replacement program if you happen to lose all of your keys. I got the Kryptonite Kryptolok Series U-Lock with Transit FlexFrame Bracket and 4-Foot Flex Cable and the key numbers are etched into the plastic part of the key end. Amazon currently had them for under $40, but I needed it ASAP, so I just went ahead and supported my LBS.


Just fyi though, most if not all of the KRYPTONITE LOCKS SOLD AT WALMART DO NOT HAVE THE REQUIRED KEY NUMBER TO RECEIVE KEY REPLACEMENTS! (i peeked inside the boxes and checked)


Anyway, I asked the LBS if they sold reflectors and they just gave me a pair for free. They ended up being too small though :/
 

 
I also got a small cable to lock down the seat, but I am still debating if I should use it or not.
 
 
I headed back to the repair shop after an hour and my bike was ready. The guy said that he adjusted my brakes and gears and that most everything checked out, but the rear brakes were down to the metal. He replaced them and said to always replace the brakes because they are only $5 toward your safety and are very easy to replace myself. He charged me $20 and even installed the new lock I just bought on the bike. Seemed like a great place, so I will probably bring all of my bike problems to them lol. Does anyone know what brand of brakes these are?
 
 
The rest of the ride was a little nerve wrecking, trying to get used to driving on the road, but eventually I retreated back to the sidewalk. I took a different route to get back home taking in the beautiful local scenery (less busy streets).

No comments:

Post a Comment