Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Longest Ride so Far! 17 Miles!

I took out the Pedco UltraClamp again, but this time, with the camera mounted upside down on the handle bar. I strung 2 of my previous routes together to make a nice 17 mile ride.

Strava Stats

Circuit
Distance: 17.0 mi
Elevation Gain: 42 ft
Moving Time: 1:21:10
Max Speed: 28.1 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 12.6 mi/hr
Calories: 447

Things have just been getting busier and busier, but I finally had some time for myself to go out today. I've had both of my camera batteries charged since Friday ready to go. I confidently clamped the mount onto the top tube, only to find out that my knees would hit the assembly at every pedal rotation (duh). I really wish I could mount the camera on the head tube! I think that 2.5 inch clamp might be my next purchase. I still wanted to record my ride though, so I sat there trying out different spots that weren't on the fork's axis of rotation.


I couldn't find a spot, so I gave up and just mounted the clamp upside down on the handle bar. This actually turned out to be a nice orientation as far as accessibility was concerned because i could change the battery without having to take the camera off of the mount. I left it like this and rode out.


After not bringing my fake Camelbak thing twice already, I felt like I didn't really need to bring it with me on this ride either. I might bring it again when I do a 25+ mile ride to Hawaii Kai in the distant future, but riding around town, probably not.

I decided to just redo my "to Kalihi and back" route so I could put up a different video.

[INSERT VIDEO HERE]

I didn't have anything to eat yet, so my first destination was the first 7-11 I could find! I had my usual C2o and pork hash (shu mai) to have that sliver of protein in my system.


While leaving 7-11, I spotted a cyclist with fake homemade muffler tubes coming out of his bicycle's rear end. I decided to tail him for a bit before turning left onto Waiakamilo Road towards North Nimitz Highway where I got caught in the rain. I ducked down in one of the benches under the trees at Ala Moana Beach Park and waited it out a little.


I was ready to head home when the sun showed up again, but as I was riding toward Piikoi Street, I saw an old guy on a bike with a shirt that said "From Ewa, to Where Eva". The "If he can do it, I can do it" mentality crept up on me and suddenly I found myself following him towards Waikiki. I caught him at one of the stoplights and asked if he really did ride from Ewa Beach, and he said YES. Here I am struggling to get a 25 mile ride. That's pretty crazy! I followed him for a little while longer until I realized that I haven't had a drink in 8 miles and my throat started feeling a little dry. I left his tail and stopped by one of Waikiki's drinking fountains.


The rest of the route was the routine ride through Waikiki and back. I spotted an old couple riding their bikes in matching clothing and I followed them a bit before turning into Ala Wai Boulevard. I managed to hit up 4 Strava segments during the ride, and received my second best times through "Beretania Dip" (01:47) and "Fountain to Shell" (02:15) and my third best times through "To The Fountain" (02:03) and "Ala Wai Mash" (04:40). Not too bad considering that I did my longest ride today.


I got home and relaxed with a very acidic liter of lemonade and 3 "Cuties" (mandarin oranges) to get that sugar needed after a good exercise. Chocolates would have also worked. Now to shoot for that 25+!

No comments:

Post a Comment