Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Bike is Starting to Replace the Car

It's December!!! I had to go to the dentist in downtown today, and I decided to take my bike for some free parking. I also wanted to look for some camera stuff for our new Canon T4i, so I just made a trip out of it.

Strava Stats

Circuit
Distance: 9.1 mi
Elevation Gain: 114 ft
Moving Time: 0:46:28
Max Speed: 28.6 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 11.8 mi/hr
Calories: 282

After checking and pumping my tires to proper pressure, I headed out for downtown through Beretania Street. I talked to one of my biking neighbors in the morning and he told me that Beretania Street was bumpy on the right, because the buses ate up the asphalt on that side. He told me to stay on the left side and it should be waaay smoother. Greatest advice ever! Beretania Street complaining will be toned down from now on lol.

I got to downtown and it was pretty deserted with all the bike racks empty. I parked my bike right across from the Hawaii Theatre Center and changed before going into the dentist place so I wouldn't smell (I used my fake Camelbak thing without the bladder to carry an extra shirt).


After hearing the good and the bad, I decided to get out of there quick! I checked for some camera shops around downtown and unfortunately, there were none open or closed. The nearest one was 4 miles away (another example of my great planning), so I went on King Street, which actually took me all the way there.

Giant Santa and Mrs. Claus looking nice and brown on the corner of Punchbowl Street and South King Street
Today was the the annual Christmas Parade and "No Parking" signs lined the left side of the street. This would usually be bad, because the fake bike lane created by the parked cars was now gone and has turned into a full car lane. Fortunately for me, King Street was not too busy, and no cars trailed me at all until I got closer to the Moiliili area.


On the way to the camera shop, I stopped by 7-11 to get some coconut water since I didn't have my water bladder with me. C2o was sold out, so I had to settle for some Rihanna sponsored Vita Coco. They're not bad, but they're not as consistently sweet as C2o. I got a pork hash as well since my stomach was growling a little bit.

Residential high rise I helped design coming along nicely.
I got to Lighthaus Camera 2 miles after my fuel up and there were no bike racks in sight! I had to bring my bike up to the second story and partially block the stairway and entrance (sorry guys). Contrary to the majority of their yelp reviews, the employees were pretty nice and helpful, even after telling them that I had just gotten my SLR. I ended up getting an original, used Canon lens tulip hood for $10.

I left, thinking of hitting up the Kaimuki camera shops to see what other used accessories I could find. After pedaling half way up Waialae Avenue, I checked my watch and realized that I totally lost track of time! I still had to recycle cans, clean up my mess at the house, and pick up Michelle! I ended up ditching the rest of my ride plan and turn straight around. Uneventful ride through Young Street and the usual run through Piikoi Street. The end! lol I'll save Kaimuki for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment