Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

Black Friday Biking

I didn’t really need anything from Black Friday, so I didn’t stay up late or get up early. What I did need were lug nuts for my neglected 350z, so I could drive her this weekend. Bike time!
Circuit
Distance: 5.1 mi
Elevation Gain: 92 ft
Moving Time: 0:32:36
Max Speed: 20.3 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 9.4 mi/hr
Calories: 119

We actually had another bike just sitting in the garage that my mom has been telling my step-dad to sell for a while. I’ve never really given it any attention since I’ve always thought it was just some cheap, heavy mountain bike (plus I wasn’t really into bicycles in my previous life). Regardless, I’m glad it was never sold because it gave me something to ride today!


The bike is actually a Nishiki Colorado we adopted from my uncle before he left for the Philippines a looong time ago. The bicycle has been well preserved since no one has really ridden it, and it has been in the garage this whole time. All though it did feel a little tight, it rode pretty well considering it has never seen a tune up (I was expecting the chain to break at any time during my ride haha).

New Korean Market, HMART in once Vietnamese dominated Mira Mesa 

I planned a 10 mile route last night, but cut it in half while riding because I have poor planning skills. I didn’t bring a backpack, so I had to hold the pack of lug nuts in one hand during half of the ride. It was a little annoying because I couldn’t go as fast as I wanted, but the bike felt pretty slow already with its fat, mountain bike tires, so I don’t know how much it really mattered (you can tell by my average and top speeds that I wasn’t really conquering any hills).

Didn't eat here because I didn't want to bring Michelle any back lol

During my ride to Autozone, I passed by Thanksgiving Lane (how appropriate). It’s next to both of my younger brothers’ old middle school, Wangenheim, and is a cross street to Gold Coast Drive. On my ride back home, I came across these things.

 They are really trying to slow down some serious suburb speeders with these full length speed bumps! Don’t worry guys, I’m on a mountain bike and I’m holding a pack of lug nuts. No speeding today.


The bike was a nice experience, but I now know that I am definitely not a mountain bike guy. The bike gave a comfortable ride though, plus it had responsive brakes and crisp barrel shifters. It just had some ridiculous rolling resistance. I guess I wouldn’t be complaining if I were in the woods. My step-dad was getting a little interested in bikes since it’s been the only thing coming out of my mouth, so hopefully there will be a nice road bike the next time I visit. He currently has BMX on his mind though bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment