Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Taste of Kalihi and Back

Michelle told me yesterday that the Taste of Kalihi was happening today, so that's where I went. Of course everything was cash only, which I didn't prepare for, so I just looked around and then went back home. During the ride, I raised my max speed to 31.9 MPH on the Beretania Dip and got a PR :) Totalled 12.1 miles including a night time ride I did after checking tire pressures.

Strava Stats
Circuit to Kalihi and Back
Distance: 10.5 mi
Elevation Gain: 55 ft
Moving Time: 0:56:21
Max Speed: 31.9 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 11.2 mi/hr
Calories: 270

Around the block
Distance: 1.6 mi
Elevation Gain: 87 ft
Moving Time: 0:8:57
Max Speed: 26.3 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 10.5 mi/hr
Calories: 65

I did a couple of things before heading out. First, I took the reflectors off of the front wheel (the bike was getting unstable at high speeds and I suspected the reflectors were the problem since they were so heavy). Then, I attached my seat bag I bought a few days ago.


I think it looks pretty cool. I also finally used that small cable I bought with the bike lock and attached it to the bag and the seat. This way, they will all be tied up with the U-Lock when I lock up the bike.


There were mostly old people at the Taste of Kalihi since it was so early (I went back later that night with Michelle and everyone else was there). I think there has been less and less booths each successive year which is a little depressing. Some of the food booths were not even from Kalihi!


There was also entertainment through out the day and even a few Hawaii officials.


? and State House Candidate Nicole Velasco

They should really solicit more businesses in Kalihi especially restaurants. "Taste" of Kalihi?

I left after listening to some songs from the band, and went down Waiakamilo Road toward Nimitz Highway. I made my way home, happy to see that the bike lane started in this intersection.

Later that night, I decided to check my tire pressures. It was not as low as before, but in just a matter of days, the tires have lost 20 PSI each! Is it time to get new tubes? They're still within the lower limit of the "inflate to" note on the tire though, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment