Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Through Waikiki, but Skipped the Ala Wai Mash

I rode to Waikiki today, but skipped the Ala Moana Mall traffic by getting on Kalakaua Avenue ASAP. I did the "To the Fountain" Strava Segment, went around Kapiolani Park, got on Kapahulu Avenue, then headed back home through Beretania Street. The edges of Beretania Street suck! Have I mentioned that before?

Strava Stats

Circuit
Distance: 9.4 mi
Elevation Gain: 89 ft
Moving Time: 0:49:53
Max Speed: 32.1 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 11.3 mi/hr
Calories: 248

I went on the Keeaumoku Street bridge, over the H1, and the stop light at the bottom was GREEN. I pedalled as fast as I could with my hands off the brakes, and no hesitation. It felt pretty good hitting 32.1 MPH right off the bat. I then turned and headed to Kalakaua Avenue after seeing some traffic toward the mall and shot straight into Waikiki.

Waikiki was its normal self; crowded on the sidewalk, but with smooth flowing day traffic. I was satisfied with my brisk pace until I saw a triathlon bike pass me a few car lanes over. I picked up my speed, but of course couldn't catch up. Beaten, I headed to one of the beach benches to take a breather. I guess I should just be happy that it wasn't raining.


I got up after 5 minutes and started "To the Fountain". I was going pretty fast and was pedalling through my gears smoothly. I could feel my thighs burning at each click of the gear change lever, but I kept going faster. I was already dreaming of that fast time, having zero head wind and no debris on the bike lane. I noticed that the traffic on my left side was starting to back up and could see two scooters fully stopped in the middle of the train. I already knew what was going to happen next. Suddenly, one of the scooters swerved into the bike lane without looking back. I pressed my brakes pretty hard and the other scooter looked back and said sorry. There goes THAT time!

I was even more bummed out at this point and I didn't even want to continue with the "Ala Wai Mash" anymore, so instead, I turned onto Kapahulu Avenue. It wasn't too busy, and I just took it easy on the sidewalk. Kapahulu Avenue is home to the famous Leonard's Bakery where they make the best malasadas in Hawaii. I didn't buy any today though, and just stopped to take advantage of their huge sign's shade lol. I could smell the malasadas in the breezy air and left before I got too tempted.


I worked my way around onto King Street and took a right onto Beretania Street after hitting a fork. DREAD. Beretania Street is so bad that my bike lock's mount became lose and I was hitting the U-Lock with the left crank arm at each revolution. Good thing I had the lock's tool in my bike bag, so I just re-tightened the mount at the next stop light before continuing home.

My thighs were so sore after getting off the bike today, that it took a little longer than usual to get up to my 3rd floor apartment. I opened the door, brought my bike in, closed the door, got down to my underwear, and knocked out on the floor. END LOG.

No comments:

Post a Comment