Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Ala Wai Mash

Went out a little late today. I had to wait for Eki Cyclery to open at 9am to get the strut kit Jayne put aside for me yesterday. Then I had to get water. During my ride, I stopped by McCully Bicycle and Sporting Goods and went through Ala Wai Boulevard before heading home, totaling 7.5 miles.

Strava Stats

1st Half
Distance: 5.6 mi
Elevation Gain: 0 ft
Moving Time: 0:29:19
Max Speed: 22.8 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 11.4 mi/hr
Calories: 126

Back Home
Distance: 1.9 mi
Elevation Gain: 51 ft
Moving Time: 0:10:53
Max Speed: 20.4 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 10.4 mi/hr
Calories: 55

Before sleeping last night, I thought about setting some biking objectives. I told myself that for starters, I should ride around 10 miles a day during the weekends, and around 2 miles, or maybe even 30 minutes a day during the weekdays. I remembered that Michelle bought an Outdoor Products Kilometer 2.0 Hydration Pack Camelbak thing a while ago for hiking, and since I had around a 10 mile ride the next day, I should make use of it.


I headed over to Eki Cyclery after dropping Michelle off to work and picked up the strut kit for my rear rack. It was a great deal at $6.95. I also bought a Long Sunlite Bicycle Wheel Reflector Set for $3.95! Eki Cyclery is located on Dillingham Boulevard and carries mostly Raleigh, Schwinn, and Dahon bicycles. They have a great assortment of accessories with prices comparable to my favorite LBS. The staff is also very helpful and knowledgeable and if they didn't know something, they will admit it and not beat around the bush. I actually walked around their shop for maybe 30 minutes before checking out.

When I got home, I tried mounting the rear bike rack, but then realized that I was missing the mounting screws! Luckily, McCully Bicycle and Sporting Goods had them in stock for 50 cents each (When I got back home, I found out that these were the same screws on the bike already used for water bottle holders and accessories uhhh). I installed both reflectors on the front wheel and headed toward the store.



After getting the last of what I needed to attach the rear rack, I kept on going up King Street toward Kaimuki. It was a little scary sharing the road with cars coming from the freeway off ramp, so I stuck on the sidewalk. I turned right onto Kapahulu Avenue and headed toward Ala Wai Boulevard.

There is a nice, flat, straight bike lane on Ala Wai Boulevard that I've been wanting to get on ever since I got the bike and it was everything I was hoping for when I did. The road was nice and smooth and had a 0.0% average grade through out the ride according to Strava. I got some real satisfaction from pushing through the gears, knowing that it was ALL ME powering the smooth ride and not a downhill. Naturally, there would be a Strava Segment on this stretch called Ala Wai Mash which I got 158th place on lol. Pretty fun ride regardless.

Ala Wai Boulevard consists of a few stoplights that are usually green. Car lanes are to the left of the bike lane and designated parking is to the right, so watch out for opening doors. The bike lane ends a long ways away from the intersection crossing McCully Street and signs suddenly tell you that you can take a whole lane. Cars turning right with you in the intersection will start getting impatient, so be careful toward the end.

I take McCully Street toward my usual route, down bumpy Beretania Street and up Piikoi Street. The end. I want to go back ASAP!

 
My friend told me to take a photo on the drive side which I found out was the proper way of taking bike pictures so enjoy! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment