Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Ride Through Waikiki and Ala Wai Mash Part 2

All I could think about last night was riding through Ala Wai Boulevard again, so I decided to actually semi-plan my route this time. I decided to go on Kalakaua Avenue through Waikiki, past Kapiolani Park, and then back around which would let me ride the Ala Wai Mash one more time.

Circuit
Distance: 9.5 mi
Elevation Gain: 50 ft
Moving Time: 0:46:39
Max Speed: 28.5 mi/hr
Avg Speed: 12.2 mi/hr
Calories: 269

I spent most of my time on the road today and less on the sidewalk, partly because I got out of the house at around 8:30am. The roads were not too busy. The grade through out maybe 5 miles of the ride was 0.0% and I had a pretty consistent pace for the most part. There was a dedicated bike lane through Waikiki on Kalakaua Avenue that sometimes disappeared with an accompanying sign that told me that I could take a full lane. I ended up just mashing on the pedals every time I got to those sections in fear of getting hit from behind. There is a Strava Segment on this route called the Kalakaua Ave. Mash, but it has been marked as hazardous and the leader list for comparison is not available. There is also a quick half mile Strava Segment continuing on Kalakaua Avenue through Kapiolani Park called To The Fountain. I might have to run through this one another time though seeing that my time was more than double the fastest lol. I took a small break when I got to Waikiki Beach and snapped a quick photo facing toward last weekends Kakaako Park picture.

 
While riding through Kapiolani Park, I noticed a good number of cyclists going up a road toward Diamond Head. Of course I decided to follow them with little thought on the somewhat steep incline. Needless to say, I turned around about half a mile in after not being able to pedal anymore. On the other hand, I did reach a new top speed of 28.5 MPH going back down, thanks to the hill :D
 
I rode the momentum all the way to the start of the Ala Wai Mash segment to a RED LIGHT. Wow, perfect. I could have had a super fast start! Anyway, I started out rowing through all the gears smoothly. I moved my hands closer to the center of the handle bars as I got faster and tucked my elbows under my stomach which helped a lot with the speed. I was moving at a nice, fast pace until 2 cop cars appeared, blocking an intersection along with the bike lane! bleh. I guess I'll try again another time. I still got a PR (Personal Record) of 4:54 minutes though. Weird.
 
Well, now I have to go back to redo To The Fountain and Ala Wai Mash. Maybe there is a Diamond Head one too that I could do later when I get a little better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment