Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Rode A Fixed Gear

My brother surprised me today by having the chain on his bicycle already fixed when I arrived. He was still sleeping though, so I decided to just get my bike stuff out. A nice dent greeted me when I pulled my helmet out of the luggage, but I gave it a once over and the foam still looked ok.


When my brother woke up, he went out to the patio with me where his bike was. He explained to me that is was fixed gear with no brakes and all I could think of was that movie, Premium Rush lol.

I weighed the bike and it was only 18 lbs with its Nashbar Nekkid aluminum frame and carbon fork.


I took it out and I couldn't even get full extension without nutting myself on the seat, let alone the frame with my feet flat on the ground lol. I gave up fast since we were about to leave soon to spend Thanksgiving with my mom's side in LA.

It's a nice bike, but in the very short distance I rode it, all I could think about was of how hard it would be to ride around a hilly area. The way your legs have to follow the pedals at every revolution even for braking would definitely take some getting use to. He's thinking of getting a road bike sometime in the near future, but I guess it's a great way to build the leg muscles for those long rides in the mean time.

1 comment: